Documentation - using Google Forms

Last school year, I said goodbye to handwriting notes and typing just narratives on word.  My school district doesn't have a standard method of documenting therapy sessions. A colleague of mine switched to Google forms years ago so I decided to give it a try  So far, so good!

Here's how I got started -

1) You have to have a google account. Sign in to your account.  Go to the multiple squared icon. Then scroll down to the purple forms icon and click on it. You may have to click the more button to see the icon.            





2) Select the blank form.

          



3) Next, I recommend to start out with a template. The template has all of the information that you use with all of your students. For each question you have several choices for how you would like the data to be entered. This is what I am currently using: Date (text box),  Location (checkboxes),  if no, OT why? (checkboxes), session length (text box), Progress (checkboxes), Activities and Outcomes (paragraph text), Plan (checkboxes), and signature (text).   I save this and then add the students individual goals by going to file and then make a copy.



Screen shot of the top of my template form



5) Next, making the individual goals as checkboxes is how I usually complete the data for the goals. How you complete this part depends on how you write your goals and how you want the data to appear in the summary.

Example for cutting goal
Example for grasp goal - level of support needed
Example of grasping goal - percentage of accuracy


6) I like to customize the page for each child to go along with my students interest or things that remind me of the student. You can change the color or pick a theme. This is just for fun. :)

7) You can make folders and place students into a school folder or make multiple forms (per quarter) for each student and then make student folders. There is various ways to organize your forms.

8) When you complete a form, the information goes into a spreadsheet. To view the responses, you can go to 'view responses'.  To see graphs, counts and percentages, go to responses and then to summary of responses. These are sometimes nice to share with parents at IEP meetings.

example of summary of responses
MORE GREAT OPTIONS 

9) I  dictate in the paragraph box by hitting the fn key twice after my cursor is in the activities and outcome box (I am currently using a MacBook Air).

10) You can also set it up to use on your iPad.  If you email yourself the form and then open your email on your iPad. Touch the link in your email. Next touch the box with the arrow coming from it in the left hand corner. Then add it to the home screen. Last group them together in a folder.


                                                Hope this helps.  Happy Documenting!

Comments

Post a Comment